The MARK III is the third Iron Man suit Tony built and was an upgrade to the MK2, improving on the previous suit’s flaws. In order to solve the freezing issue at high altitudes, Tony had the suit manufactured from a gold titanium alloy that was used in Stark Industries satellites. This gave the suit its primary gold coloring, although Tony called it “ostentatious” and added hotrod red, taking inspiration from a car in his garage.
In addition to the gold titanium alloy, Tony upgraded the energy output of his Repulsors to weapons grade levels and integrated his own advanced, miniaturized weapons systems concealed beneath the armor’s exterior plating. This included a set of mini-guns and a small set of miniaturized, high explosive missiles.
During the events of Iron Man, Tony is seen taking the MK3 to Gulmira, Ho Yinsen’s home village, to destroy the illegally obtained Stark weapons in the Ten Rings possession and to dispatch the terrorists who were holding the village and it’s citizens hostage. Later in the movie, Tony is forced to use the original Palladium RT to battle Obadiah Stane in his Iron Monger suit. Tony managed to defeat Stane but the MK3 was severely damaged. After the events of Iron Man, Tony repaired and retired the MK3 to the Hall of Armors. The suit was destroyed during the Mandarin’s attack on Stark’s mansion.
– Designer – Tony Stark
– User – Tony Stark
– Code Name – None
– Armor Class – Basic Iron Man Suit
– Armor Type – None
– Armor Color – Dark red with gold plates
– Armor Height – 6’3 ft.
– Status – Destroyed
– Power Core – Palladium RT I/II
– Armor Features – Gold-titanium plating
– Armor Systems – J.A.R.V.I.S OS, Propulsion systems
– Weapons – Repulsors, Unibeam, Rockets, Shoulder-mounted guns, Flares
– Armor Composition – Gold-titanium alloy
– Armor Capabilities – Super strength, enhanced durability, flight, ice resistance
– Predecessor – MARK II
– Successor – MARK IV
– Preceded By – MARK II
– Followed By – MARK IV
– First Appearance – Iron Man
Features and Capabilities
– Gold titanium plating – the MK3 made from a 95.5% titanium and 4.5% gold alloy in order to solve the icing problem at high altitudes.
– Ice Resistance – the MK3 was given an advanced upgrade in it’s armor composition of gold titanium alloy which enabled the suit to avoid the build up of ice when flying at high altitudes.
– Standard Iron Man suit capabilities – this suit grants the user standard capabilities of all Iron Man suits including super strength, enhanced durability and flight.
– Shoulder-Mounted Guns – two guns were concealed in the shoulders of the suit that could fire up to six bullets from each shoulder, and used a computer guiding targeting system that allowed near perfect precision and accuracy.
– Rockets – concealed in each forearm, they are capable of taking out a full size tank.
– Flares – two sets of flares are concealed in circular launchers located on the suit’s hips. Although not considered a weapon, they can still be lethal causing burns or acting like bullets when used in close proximity to a target.
– Standard Iron Man suit weapons – this suit possessed the standard Repulsor gauntlets and Unibeam.
– Standard Iron Man suit systems – this suit possessed the standard Iron Man suit systems including the J.A.R.V.I.S OS and the propulsion system.
Thank you for reading. If you enjoyed this post, If you enjoyed this post, you can find more MCU content on Twitter at @historyofthemcu and more of my thoughts at @lord_anarchy. Additionally, I will be relaunching my podcast, The History of the MCU Podcast, and it would wonderful if you gave it a listen, new episodes currently available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podbean, Google Podcasts, iHeartRadio and Amazon Music.