In Marvel Studios’ action-packed spy thriller “Black Widow,” Natasha Romanoff aka Black Widow confronts the darker parts of her ledger when a dangerous conspiracy with ties to her past arises. Pursued by a force that will stop at nothing to bring her down, Natasha must deal with her history as a spy and the broken relationships left in her wake long before she became an Avenger.
– Director – Cate Shortland
– Produced By – Kevin Feige
– Release Date – November 6, 2020
– Story by – Jac Schaeffer and Ned Benson
– Screenplay by – Eric Pearson
– Music by – Alexandre Desplat
– Cinematography – Gabriel Beristain
– Scarlett Johansson – Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow
– Florence Pugh – Yelena Belova
– David Harbour – Alexei Shostakov/The Red Guardian
– Rachel Weisz – Melina Vostokoff
– O-T Fagbenle – Rick Mason
– William Hurt – Thaddeus Ross
– Robert Downey Jr. – Tony Stark/Iron Man
– Ray Winstone – Undisclosed role
– Olivier Richters – Undisclosed role
– Unknown – Taskmaster
The movie will primarily be set after the events of Captain America: Civil War but before the events of Avengers: Infinity War although flashbacks should feature prominently throughout the movie. Not only have younger versions of some of the major players been cast but a de-aged Thaddeus Ross can be seen in the first teaser trailer.
– Flashbacks will be prominent in the movie – even though the movie is already a prequel, we will still see multiple extended flashbacks throughout the film. Rumors have placed parts of the movie in 1999 when Romanoff would be 15-16 years old (likely before she was working for S.H.I.E.L.D.), in 2006 when she likely started working for S.H.I.E.L.D. and possibly in 2009 as she is setting up her cover at Stark Industries. A de-aged Thaddeus Ross can be seen in the trailer, so this may be where Natasha and Ross first cross paths on the hunt for the Hulk.
– Debunked in final trailer, O-T Fagbenle is thought to be playing Taskmaster. – Melina Vostokoff is Taskmaster – in the comics, Melina Vostokoff is a former Black Widow who becomes disenchanted with the order of assassins as she was jealous of Natasha Romanoff. She wears a flexible metal suit that increases her strength and offers superhuman durability. While Taskmaster has a whole different persona in the comics, I could easily see Marvel Studios taking inspiration from Melina’s comic origins and using them to make her Taskmaster in the MCU.
– Tony Stark is rumored to appear – Robert Downey Jr. is rumored to be reprising his role as Tony Stark. As the movie is set after the events of Civil War and before the events of Infinity War, Downey’s appearance is likely a deleted scene from Civil War where Tony tells Natasha to go on the run.
– Natasha Romanoff has been augmented with Super Soldier Serum – in the trailers, Natasha can be seen holding multiple red vials. Many have thought these may be Pym Particles while others have said they are for her Widow’s Bite electroshock weapon but I think that all of the Black Widows have been injected with either a small dose or modified version of the Super Soldier Serum. This would explain some of the feats the Widows are able to pull and could end up being a major plot point in the movie.