This is a new article I will be doing weekly. As a lot of you know, I follow MCU news very closely which is one of the ways I am able to piece my theories together. I know everyone doesn’t have the same time or resources to stay on top of all the current news, so these articles will be a weekly collection of the things that I learned the last week regarding the MCU. So here’s what I learned this week.
Disney+ Marvel Cinematic Universe Shows
– She-Hulk casting call and plot details – Marvel is currently searching for their Jennifer Walters and are looking for an actress between the ages of 26-34 with “comedic chops”. Her origin and background will largely be adapted as is, with the casting call mentioning that she is a lawyer who receives a blood transfusion from her after being shot from her cousin Bruce Banner, which leads to her gaining similar abilities to her cousin. (Source – http://bit.ly/2TcdF8)
– Isaiah Bradley has a role in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier – Isaiah Bradley, known in the comic books “Black Captain America” is reported to have a role in the upcoming Disney+ show, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Isaiah Bradley is described as followed by Deadline “The fan-favorite throwback character was introduced in 2003 in Marvel Comics limited series Truth: Red, White and Black as a super-powered product of the clandestine experiments on African-America Soldiers. The evocative backstory (depicted with imagery that evoked the infamous, real-world Tuskegee syphilis studies) made Bradley a tragic but noble cultural symbol for African-American heroes in the Marvel Universe.” According to SlashFilm, Bradley will play a significant role in Sam accepting the mantle of Captain America, “The series will be about Falcon initially refusing to take up the mantle as Captain America, but ultimately changing his mind after discovering the secret history of the Super Soldier Program [Project Rebirth] by encountering Bradley, who was actually the ‘original’ Captain America”. Bradley is also the grandfather of Elijah Bradley aka Patriot, the leader of the Younger Avengers, a team that Marvel Studios is building towards, so the elder Bradley’s introduction in this show sets the stage for Elijah to appear soon. (Source – http://bit.ly/3bY96rb)
– Carl Lumby cast in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier – Earlier this week, news dropped that Carl Lumby has been cast in an undisclosed role in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. It is thought that he will likely play either Sam Wilson’s father or Isaiah Bradley. (Source – http://bit.ly/2urBMbi)
– Daniel Radcliffe not up for the titular role in Moon Knight – Last year, rumors made the rounds that Daniel Radcliffe was being eyed by Marvel Studios for the role of Marc Spector/Moon Knight, unfortunately the actor himself has debunked those rumors. According to Radcliffe “But the Moon Knight rumors are untrue. I can officially debunk that one, I haven’t heard anything about it”. I am unsure how far along in preproduction and casting Moon Knight is and actors have denied roles before ultimately being cast in them but it seems like fan-cast may remain just that. (Source – http://bit.ly/37TOz3T)
– Upcoming Disney+ shows are set to be announced “soon” – I first read about it from Charles Murphy on Murphy’s Multiverse and he reported that we should “soon” find out the premiere dates and possibly some of the upcoming unannounced Disney+ shows. It has since been confirmed that on March 5th, Disney is hosting a special event commemorating the launch of Disney+ in Europe and Marvel Studios will update their Disney+ slate. We could possibly get hard release dates for The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (August) and WandaVision (December) as well as soft releases for Loki, What If…?, Hawkeye and if we are lucky the release dates for Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk and Moon Knight. If we get REALLY lucky, we may find out what the two additional unannounced shows are. And if we are REALLY, REALLY lucky we may see 30 second trailers for The Falcon and the Winter Soldier and WandaVision but there is no confirmation on these trailers actually being released on March 5th at this event. (Source – http://bit.ly/2HQoBUe)
– Red Hulk is slated for an upcoming appearance – According to Daniel Richtman, Red Hulk will soon be making his debut in the MCU. Many now believe he will show up in the She-Hulk Disney+ show but new rumors suggest that he is being saved for the Thunderbolts project, which many believe will begin with a Disney+ show. (Sources – http://bit.ly/39TrTC4 http://bit.ly/2HS5vgo)
– New set photos give us our first look at Jimmy Woo and Monica Rambeau in WandaVision – Monica Rambeau (Teyonah Parris) and Jimmy Woo (Randall Park) are seen having a conversation in S.W.O.R.D attire in these WandaVision set photos.
– Despite delays, Hawkeye is still on target to be released in 2021, along with Ms. Marvel – The New York Toy Fair is going this week and Hasbro has revealed their Marvel plans for the next two years, reaffirming that Hawkeye is still on target for a 2021 release despite recent rumors to the contrary and confirming Ms. Marvel for a 2021 release, possibly before Hawkeye. It has been noted that She-Hulk and Moon Knight are not on Hasbro’s release schedule leading to rumors that these shows will not be released until 2022. While this could be true, there is still a possibility these shows come out in 2021 but with nine Marvel Studios products set to release in 2021, Hasbro may be saving She-Hulk and Moon Knight toy lines for 2022 regardless of when these shows will air.
Marvel Cinematic Universe Movies
– The Eternals Trailer is coming “soon” – Music studio Great Apes has worked on the music for many of the recent MCU trailers and have recently completed work on music for The Eternals trailer. This is great news and means we should be getting the trailer in the coming months and based on Marvel’s past releases of November movies, they often release the first trailer in April (Thor: The Dark World – April 24th, Doctor Strange – April 12th and Thor: Ragnarok – April 10th). So we are still likely a little over a month out from our first look at The Eternals but the first trailer will be here before we know it! (Source – http://bit.ly/37W4FtD)
– Marvel Studios file for the LLC “Warbird Productions II” – Marvel Studios files a LLC for the production of every movie. Captain Marvel’s LLC was “Warbird Productions, and earlier this week Marvel Studios filed for “Warbird Productions II” LLC, meaning Captain Marvel 2 is officially greenlit. (Source – http://bit.ly/37RSRZB)
– Thor may or may not be in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 – Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 was supposed to kick off Phase Four of the MCU and it appeared that Vol. 3 would feature the “Asgardians” of the Galaxy as Thor abdicated the Throne to Valkyrie and joined the crew of the Benatar. With James Gunn’s firing and rehiring as director of Vol. 3, the release for the movie has obviously shifted and since it appears the earliest we will get Vol. 3 is 2022 (although I believe we won’t see the movie until 2023), and by then there could be numerous script changes, so we are not sure wether or not Thor has joined or still remains with the crew as his fourth solo outing is the last movie of 2021. At the world premiere for Onward, Christ Pratt was asked why Thor would not appear in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 and responded, “How do you know Thor’s not in Guardians 3? We haven’t shot it yet. He might be in Guardians 3. We don’t know, there’s no definitive yes or no on that.” So, Thor may or may not be in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. (Source – http://bit.ly/32kFfEV)
– Cancellation of an upcoming convention appearance fuels speculation Raimi is taking over as director of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness – Sam Raimi was scheduled to appear at Monster Mania Con March 13th-15th but has now cancelled due to filming. While filming for Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is not set to begin filming until early May, it would make sense that Raimi for Raimi to already be in London in the middle of March to begin to prepare shooting. So while we still do not have any official word, all of the signs are pointing to Raimi taking over the reigns on Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. (Source – http://bit.ly/2T6OK6t)
– Black Widow promotional art – Over the past week Topps has been releasing character cards that feature new Black Widow promotional art. Check out the cards for Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow, Taskmaster and Yelena Belova.
Sony Universe of Marvel Character Movies
– Possible solo Mysterio movie – Prior to being named as the villain in Spider-Man: Far From Home, there were rumors that Sony wanted to make a solo movie with Mysterio or a possible team-up with Kraven. Now, it is being reported that Sony wants Jake Gyllenhaal back for a solo Mysterio movie and with characters like Venom, Morbius and Kraven getting their own solo movies, it makes sense that Sony would want to capitalize of the popularity of the Mysterio while setting things up for a possible Sinister Six movie. (Source – http://bit.ly/2VhDjvI)
– Elsa Bloodstone almost had a TV show on ABC – Last summer ABC revealed they were in the early stages of producing a Marvel related show as Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D final season airs this summer. At the time, there was no confirmation on the character but with Marvel Television now being absorbed into Marvel Studios, the heroine we would have seen on ABC next would have been Elsa Bloodstone. Fortunately, now that Marvel Studios is in charge of the small screen and with movies and shows like Blade and Moon Knight on the way, we still see Elsa Bloodstone sooner rather than later. (Source http://bit.ly/2HMRiBo)