The MARK IX is the ninth Iron Man suit Tony built and the second suit built-in rapid succession after the events of the Battle of New York that led to the creation of the Iron Legion. The MK9 is a fully loaded advanced flight prototype and features additional thrusters for increased maneuverability and redesigns in the foot and legs of the armor for additional flight strength and speed. The MK9 features an upgrade to its flight systems and can fly long distances with little to no power loss.
The MK9 featured the most advanced donning system to date and was the prototype for all future suits(also retroactively added to the MK7 and MK8). The MK9’s technology is an upgrade to the MK5 and MK7 and responds to biometric implants embedded underneath Tony’s skin that allows Tony to step in and out of the suit seamlessly and eject himself on command. The MK9 sees another upgrade to its weapons systems and is both slightly stronger and more durable the MK8.
The MK9 arrived at the Battle on the Norco when Tony had J.A.R.V.I.S initiate the House Party Protocol. The MK9’s durability and weapons were showcased during this battle, as it managed to eliminate many Extremis soldiers and survived the battle. The MK9 was the first suit to be destroyed when Tony had J.A.R.V.I.S initiate the Clean Slate Protocol.
- Designer – Tony Stark
- User– Tony Stark
- Code Name – None
- Armor Class – Basic Iron Man Suit
- Armor Type – Fully Loaded Advanced Flight Prototype
- Armor Color – Red with light golden plates
- Armor Height – 6’0 ft.
- Status – Destroyed
- Power Core – New Element Mark II
- Armor Features – Maneuvering thrusters, Biometric implants
- Armor Systems – J.A.R.V.I.S OS, Status system, Propulsion systems, Advanced biometric donning system
- Weapons – Repulsors, Unibeam, 200-Petawatt laser, missiles, guided micro projectiles, flares
- Armor Composition – Red with light golden plates
- Armor Capabilities – Super strength, enhanced durability, flight, ice and water resistance, rapid biometric deployment
- Predecessor – MARK VIII
- Successor – MARK XX
- Preceded By – MARK VIII`
- Followed By – MARK X
- First Appearance – Iron Man 3
Features and Capabilities
- Maneuvering thrusters – the MK9 featured additional thrusters to aid in flight speed and maneuverability.
- Biometric implants and donning system – Tony embedded biometric implants underneath his skin that allowed for a remote connection and use of the MK9 and all future suits. This donning system allowed Tony to step in and out of the suit seamlessly and eject himself on command.
- Standard Iron Man suit weapons – this suit possesses the signature Repulsor gauntlets, Unibeam, shoulder-mounted guns, side winders, guided missiles, micro munition missiles, rockets, 200-Petawatt lasers and flares, albeit slightly stronger than it’s predecessor’s weapons systems.
- Standard Iron Man suit systems – this suit possesses the standard Iron Man suit systems including the J.A.R.V.I.S OS, the propulsion system and the advanced biometric donning system.
Thank you for reading. If you enjoyed this post, you can find more of my thoughts on twitter, @historyofthemcu. Additionally, @bloodybaroness and myself host The History of the MCU Podcast, a weekly podcast that reviews and analyzes not only the Infinity Saga but the new Marvel Studios Disney+ shows beginning with WandaVision. We would love if you gave us a listen and are currently available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podbean, Google Podcasts, iHeartRadio and Amazon Music.