The MARK VII was the seventh Iron Man suit Tony built and the first to feature the advanced rapid deployment system. This suit is the culmination of the knowledge Tony acquired while building his previous six suits and featured extensive advancements in it’s flight capabilities and weapon systems. The MK7’s design was the base design for most of the Iron Legion, as most are specialized variants or un-perfected prototypes. The design of the MK7 is similar to the MK6, the most notable difference being the thrusters added to the back of the suit. These thrusters aided in flight strength, agility and power and for the first time, allowed Tony to freely use the palm based Repulsors as weapons during flight. To help counteract the new thrusters, the MK7 possessed brake flaps and two Repulsor ports on the chest of the suit. The brakes allowed the suit to go from 600 MPH to 0 in a matter of seconds, while the additional Repulsors aided the suit in ascension and counterbalancing the force of the thrusters.
The MK7’s most notable advancement was it’s deployment system. This advanced donning system eliminated the necessity of the mechanical system all of the previous models(with the exception of the MK5) required. When not in use, the armor collapsed into a large, cylindrical pod with the chest reactor on top and the thrusters on the bottom. The thruster allow the pod flight and on Tony’s command J.A.R.V.I.S could deploy the suit to his location. The pod would then extend mechanical arms, that would reach out and latch onto Tony’s wrists while the rest of the suit wrapped around Tony’s body once activated. This was done by the use of two metallic bracelets that were embedded with encrypted bar codes that the laser scanners on the mechanical arms would scan confirming Tony’s identity, thus activating the pod. The MK7 also received major upgrades to it’s Repulsors, lasers and the addition of an assortment of missiles.
Tony was forced to don the MK7 before it had been tested and was still technically a prototype during the Battle of New York as the MK6 was severely damaged repairing the S.H.I.E.L.D Helicarrier. Upon returning to Stark Tower, Tony furtively slipped on the bracelets. After a brief convo and failed attempt to control Tony’s mind, Loki throws Tony from Stark Tower. Tony had J.A.R.V.I.S deploy the MK7 as he was falling with the suit activating before Tony crashed into the ground. Tony used the MK7 to defeat countless Chitauri, a Leviathan and ultimately won the battle for the Avengers as he flew a nuclear missile through the wormhole over New York, destroying the Chitauri flagship and disabling the Chitauri on Earth. Although Tony began developing the Iron Legion after the events of The Avengers, the MK7* remained his default suit and can be seen when Tony experienced a panic attack while at lunch with Rhodey during Iron Man 3. The MK7 was destroyed in the Hall of Armors when the Mandarin attacked Stark’s mansion.
- Designer– Tony Stark
- User– Tony Stark
- Code Name– None
- Armor Class– Basic Iron Man Suit
- Armor Type– Fully Loaded Rapid Deployment Suit
- Armor Color– Red with gold and silver plating
- Armor Height– 6’5 ft.
- Status– Destroyed
- Power Core– New Element Mini-Arc Reactor I
- Armor Features– Advanced donning system(laser-guided pod deployed tracking), Upgraded Thrusters
- Armor Systems– J.A.R.V.I.S OS, Status system, Propulsion systems, Advanced donning system
- Weapons– Repulsors, Unibeam, 200-Petawatt laser, missiles, guided micro projectiles, flares
- Armor Composition– Gold titanium-alloy
- Armor Capabilities– Super strength, enhanced durability, flight, ice resistance, rapid deployment
- Predecessor– MARK V/MARK VI
- Successor– MARK VIII
- Preceded By– MARK VI
- Followed By– MARK VIII
- First Appearance– Marvel’s The Avengers
Features and Capabilities
- Advanced donning system– the MK7 collapses into a pod that then used a laser-guided tracking system to activate and wrap around Tony. This new deployment system eliminated the use of the mechanical gantry systems Tony was forced to use with most previous models and allowed Tony to suit jump any time and any where.
- Upgraded Thrusters– the thruster power of the entire suit received an upgrade as the New Element Arc Reactor Mark II is the strongest miniature arc reactor to date. The suit also saw the addition of thrusters on the suit’s back as well as two Repulsor ports on the front of the suit. These new thrusters allowed Tony the ability to fire the palm Repulsors during flight for the first time.
- Rapid deployment– new deployment system allowed Tony to immediately suit up any time and any where.
- Superior functionality– the MK7 was the culmination of Tony’s previous knowledge and the base design for all future suits. Although it was ultimately destroyed, the MK7 remains one of the most durable and heavily equipped suits.
- Standard Iron Man suit capabilities– this suit grants the user standard capabilities of all Iron Man suits including super strength, enhanced durability, flight, ice and water resistance and rapid deployment.
- Upgraded Repulsors – the MK7 was the first suit to employ Plasma Energy Charges in the Repulsors. This new addition is seen in all suits until the MK42 saw a full-fledged upgrade to the Repulsors.
- Missiles – the MK7 was equipped with a vast array of missiles including a missile launcher in the left arm(took out a Chitauri Leviathan), side winders located in the thigh of the suit to be utilized when flying horizontally over a target and guided air to air missile mounted in the suits shoulders.
- 200-Petawatt laser – rather than the one shot laser cartridge of the MK6, the MK7’s laser pull their power directly from the chest reactor allowing Tony multiple uses.
- Standard Iron Man suit weapons – this suit possesses the signature Repulsor gauntlets, Unibeam, shoulder-mounted guns, micro munition missiles, rockets and flares.
- Advanced donning system– allows Tony to suit jump any time and any where.
- Standard Iron Man suit systems– this suit possesses the standard Iron Man suit systems including the J.A.R.V.I.S OS and the propulsion system.
*the MK7 was retrofitted with the advanced biometric donning system of the MK9.
Thank you for reading. If you enjoyed this post, you can find more of my thoughts on twitter, @lord_anarchy. Additionally, @bloodybaroness and myself host The History of the MCU Podcast, a weekly podcast that reviews and analyzes not only the Infinity Saga but the new Marvel Studios Disney+ shows beginning with WandaVision. We would love if you gave us a listen and are currently available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podbean, Google Podcasts, iHeartRadio and Amazon Music.