The MARK V, codenamed the Football and also known as the Suitcase armor, was the fifth Iron Man suit Tony built and was an emergency suit designed for portability and easy access. When not in use, the MK5 collapses down to the size of a briefcase allowing Tony access to a suit in a civilian environment. Once activated the suit opens, allowing Tony to take hold of it while the suit assembles around him. The MK5 is made out of an unknown metal and rather than the interlocking plates of the standard Iron Man armors, the MK5 is composed of interweaving bands.
Due to the suit’s focus on portability, the MK5 did not posses the onboard weapon systems or flight capabilities of it’s predecessors or successors. The suit is capable of flight but it cannot achieve high speeds or altitudes and could only carry a limited amount of weight while in the air. While, the MK5 had no onboard weapons systems, it did posses the weapons level Repulsor gauntlets and Unibeam that are the signature weapons of the Iron Man suit.
The MK5 made it’s debut in Iron Man 2 when Ivan Vanko in the Whiplash MARK I attacks Tony at the Grand Prix de Monaco where Tony was defenseless until Pepper and Happy arrived with the Suitcase Armor. Once suited Tony is able to destroy Whiplash’s RT, rendering Vanko and his armor powerless. The MK5 was so severely damaged that Tony scrapped the original and built a second MK5, which functioned as his emergency suit until he developed the MK7 and it’s advanced deployment system. With the completion of the MK7, the MK5 was retired to the Hall of Armors, where it remained until it was destroyed during the Mandarin’s attack on Stark Mansion.
– Designer – Tony Stark
– User – Tony Stark
– Code Name – The Football/Suitcase Armor
– Armor Class – Basic Iron Man Suit
– Armor Type – Emergency Suit
– Armor Color – Red and silver
– Armor Height – 6’0 ft.
– Status – Destroyed
– Power Core – Palladium RT III(in Tony’s chest)
– Armor Features – Briefcase deployment
– Armor Systems – J.A.R.V.I.S OS, Propulsion systems
– Weapons – Repulsor Mark I, Unibeam
– Armor Composition – Unknown
– Armor Capabilities – Unassisted assembly, agility
– Predecessor – None
– Successor – MARK VII
– Preceded By – MARK IV
– Followed By – MARK VI
– First Appearance – Iron Man 2
Features and Capabilities
– Briefcase deployment and unassisted assembly – the MK5 differs from it’s predecessors as it was the first suit that allowed Tony to suit up anywhere. Once deployed, Tony steps into the suit and it begins to automatically assemble around him and collapsed down to the size of a briefcase when not in use. The suit used a lightweight metal and the armor was composed of interwoven bands rather the interlocking plates of standard Iron Man armors. The armor composition and designed allowed for increased mobility and agility.
– Standard Iron Man suit capabilities – this suit grants the user standard capabilities of all Iron Man suits including super strength, enhanced durability and flight.
– Standard Iron Man suit weapons – this suit possesses the signature Repulsor gauntlets and Unibeam.
– Standard Iron Man suit systems – this suit possesses the standard Iron Man suit systems including the J.A.R.V.I.S OS and the propulsion system.
Thank you for reading. If you enjoyed this post, you can find more of my thoughts on twitter, @historyofthemcu. Additionally, @bloodybaroness and myself host The History of the MCU Podcast, a weekly podcast that reviews and analyzes not only the Infinity Saga but the new Marvel Studios Disney+ shows beginning with WandaVision. We would love if you gave us a listen and are currently available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podbean, Google Podcasts, iHeartRadio and Amazon Music.